Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Sorry About Dead People





Yep, I'm as dumbstruck as you are.

What I do know though,  is that sometimes in life, you gotta break the rules.

This project is all about making cakes from The Book, of course - one hundred and eight of them. That's a lot of Women's Weekly in my life.

So when I was extra-specially-requested to make *this* cake for a colleague, of course I jumped at the chance.

Not just because it is about as far from the Women's Weekly as you can get. And not just because it would give me a chance to finally try out my piping skills and all those icing nozzles I over-enthusiastically bought when I first set sail on this ship.

No, I agreed to do it because I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS CAKE MEANS. And that fascinates me.

It fascinates my colleague, too. She has had the picture up on her wall for ages, and for the Festival Of Jess  this week she made a special request. Months ago, in fact, she very politely asked if it would be possible for me to recreate the cake for her birthday even though it is not from The Book. And I just couldn't refuse, could I? This is the sort of chance you don't often get in life. You've got to grab those moments when they present themselves.

It's from the Cakewrecks book. I can't find the post on the website unfortunately, because I was hoping it might be able to shed some light on things.

Is it a funeral cake? A "wake cake"? God forbid.

Consensus in the office is that maybe someone spoiled the ending to The Sixth Sense and felt they needed to have a cake made to say sorry. I don't buy it.

The possibilities are endless.  It could be a poor translation of a Chinese saying you use when someone dies (does such a saying exist?). Or a housewife politely apologising for the untidy dead people at her party. Or a forbidding portent of the upcoming murder of the PERSON THIS CAKE WAS MADE FOR. Wouldn't that be creepy .... opening the box, seeing the cake, and realising your friendly baker person was about to kill you. Very Alfred Hitchock Presents.

And while the thought of what it means is terribly morbidly fascinating, it's not nearly as morbidly fascinating as the decoration on the actual cake itself.

Those pink scalloped edges took me ages to get right. That particular shade of fluorescent yellow icing is right on trend for the current fashion season. And the wiggly poo-esque shape of the white and yellow ribbons just tops everything off.

I hope you appreciate my attention to detail in this cake. It was quite hard to get it just as horrible as the original. I tried really hard on the writing but couldn't quite replicate the heavy hand and lack of attention to detail. So I made up for it by going to the extent of making sure the coloured flower decoration things were (mostly) in exactly the right place.

After you have oohed and aahed over the awfulness of this particular baked treat, I would love to hear your theories on what it could mean ......!







2 comments:

  1. I hope you've sent this post's link to the Cakewreckers!

    I had trouble reading the sentence "Very Alfred Hitchock Presents." As you'd been writing about cakes, I assumed it meant presents. But of course it should actually be read as presents. Presents, not presents. I've got it sorted now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am mildly disturbed by Jennie's idea of Alfred Hitchcock being a type of gift.

    I feel that cake in sympathy with dead people is a lovely idea, if somewhat cryptic.

    Heh.

    ReplyDelete

Say something sweet! Or, you know, not.