Tuesday, 10 July 2012

The Incredible Cake Case Load of July



Readers, it may have been quiet on the blogging front recently, but do not think for one minute that it is because the cake-baking-slump has got the better of me.

Quite the contrary, in fact.

July happens to be a terribly busy time in the office of Cake It To The Limit. And while it is always busy with, you know, working and stuff, this month we have the additional element of birthdays.

Ten birthdays. Count them - ten. In an office of thirty-five people. I don't know what everyone's parents were doing nine months ago .. although ... well... actually, I suppose I do know, but I don't like to think about it too much and although I was going to go off on a bit of a rant, in fact I'm just going to end this sentence right here.

I am lucky enough to work in an office where everyone's birthdays are celebrated. There is cake, and there is singing of Happy Birthday, and importantly, there is cake.

Recently of course, this has been cake produced by my good self. I'm glad to do it, it's the perfect excuse to present another masterpiece from The Book and bask in the happy sounds of people consuming vienna cream by the bucketload. Does anything sound as good as colleagues busily devouring cake, I ask you?

But TEN birthdays, readers ... that is quite a lot. Even *I* quailed a little at the thought of it.

But I picked myself up, dusted myself off, and promptly informed my manager that due to the cake caseload I would not be available for any actual real work during the month of July. 


She laughed and then the accountant asked me if I still wanted to get paid. Ahem.

So the cake-baking is on. It is a MARATHON. There is meticulous planning involved. It is like a military operation. I do not want to think about the kilograms of butter and sugar that my colleagues will shortly be consuming.

I'm sorry, there is not time for chat. I must run. There is baking to do !

2 comments:

  1. Blame the Spring Racing Carnival - 9 months ago. Maybe i should get down there this year....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with the Spring Racing Carnival theory. Never try and have a baby from about July through to October, it's bedlam in the maternity ward.

    ReplyDelete

Say something sweet! Or, you know, not.