Tuesday, 19 June 2012

The Wise Old Owl



    

Recently, I haven't been sleeping.

It's not a new thing. I haven't slept well for  ... well, months now.  

The getting to sleep is easy enough. At 9.30pm my head hits the pillow and like clockwork I'm asleep at 9.31. 

But then at 1.30am, or 3.30, or 4am, my eyes spring open. I can actually feel it coming. I feel myself bursting up into consciousness, and even though I squeeze my eyes shut tightly, once I'm aware of the darkness hanging thickly around me .... well, that's it for the night. It's like the lava shooting up inside the volcano:  completely unstoppable.

It makes it quite hard to go to work each day, I'll say that. 

And it makes me think: no wonder sleep deprivation is used as a torture device in some countries. And isn't there a disease called fatal familial insomnia where people of a certain bloodline don't sleep for years on end and actually die of tiredness? I was going to say: that would just make me want to DIE. Well yes - precisely.

But there is quite a lot going on at night. There is night shift, and garbage men, and terrible night-time TV. I never want to see another ad for a multi-slicer-dicer with EXTRA attachments for FREE!

I am most definitely not a night owl, that's for sure. 

Speaking of owls ... owls are having quite the renaissance moment right now, don't you think? 

Owls to the left of me, owls to the right of me - owls in front of me and owls behind me.  I'm not sure when the owl craze started, but it's been running for a few years now at least. Perhaps it began during the "woodland creature" phase, when all the homeware designers started putting out ironic deer heads to mount on the wall, and printing fabric with rabbits. It was taken over by the babushka phase, which finally seems to be waning.

I quite like owls myself. This one turned out ok I think, though I should have opened up his wings a bit more, and I've done something weird with his beak, squashing it up there into his eyes. And the coconut covering .... ah, the coconut covering. It took me hours. HOURS! But I got the colours just "so", which makes me happy.



And as a sewing person I've also made my fair share of toy owls over the years. I must have made hundreds by now. Here are a few to feast your eyes on: 


Yawn.... I'm a bit tired. I think I'll finish this post here and stumble off to have a little snoo ....zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

2 comments:

  1. some of the owls above look as wide awake as i imagine you'd be at 3:30 ;)

    great work again! i think the the owl from The Book looks more aggressive than yours, thus rendering it inedible, and scaring away small children in the process...

    B McJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, he's so sweet! I like his expression much better than The Book's one. DId you use the rubber gloves this time, or are your hands once again stained an interesting variety of colours?

    As to your question- I am neither. I prefer staying up over getting up early, but at the minute I am in a constant state of sleep deprivation owing to the baby cutting a molar and wanting me to share his misery. You have my total and complete sympathy- insomnia is a horrible thing, and I salute you for being able to hold down your job AND do your cake blog! I hope it gets better very soon. Perhaps some owl cake might send you off to a good night's sleep?

    ReplyDelete

Say something sweet! Or, you know, not.