Friday, 11 May 2012

The Great Cake Shortage of 2012 (well, really just the last week in April and first week in May)



There have been whispers in the office.

People have been saying things. Making the occasional pointed comment out of the corner of their mouths. But recently the whispers have grown to a discernible rumble, not unlike the buzz emitted from a particularly large machine humming away in our back warehouse. Now the grapevine is most definitely aflame, and I can feel the heat on my cheeks from here.

People are questioning the diversion of cake away from the office

Let me explain. I am lucky enough to work in an office where most people love cake. And they are just as happy for me to exploit their goodwill (and their appetites) by foisting cake on them at regular intervals. It's the only way I can get through this project without ballooning to the size of a house.

But for the past few weeks I have been exceptionally busy baking cakes .....(wait for it) .....for other people.  

And not only that, there is a *villain* at the heart of this story, a man who is wholly and solely responsible for the recent absence of cake in the office. Quite the bright spark, this chap is a parent; and recently two of the children in his household have had birthdays. Within a week of each other. For which I have delivered exceptionally magnificent cakes -  the Space Alien Number Eight was one of them. The other is due for its blog post shortly.

So that means for two weeks, my colleagues have not had any Office Cake. Zip. Zilch. Nada. 

To make matters worse, the Bright Spark works here himself. So he knows how valuable the Office Cake is, and he has knowingly diverted it. Knowingly! And while I've only been baking for around six weeks now, clearly I have established a pattern, a comforting regularity of cake supply. But now I have suddenly turned off the tap.

Outrage! Of the polite office variety, at least.

The office has rebelled. There is a quest to restore Equal Cake Rights. There is talk of a petition, or a demonstration in the little car park out the front. 

But I know exactly how to win them back ....  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something sweet! Or, you know, not.